I offer several talks to WI, Rotary, Community organisations and church groups etc.
- Annoying ancestors – An anecdotal tale of what to look for and pitfalls to avoid when looking for your ancestors.
- Australian gold rush – How some of our ancestors left these shores to go to a brave new world and seek their fortune. Many never to return home again.
- Before the welfare state – institutions, home remedies and quack doctors
- Forgotten women – Derby County Lunatic Asylum – Together with an overview of Asylum life at Mickleover meet Emma, Catherine and Martha. You will also learn about Alice and Maud, who ‘recovered’ and returned to their everyday lives.
- History of the postcard – A potted history of the humble postcard and place in social history.
- The Last English nobleman hanged for murder – A tale of wealth, marriage, separation and a murder, centred on Staunton Harold Hall, Leicestershire and The Palace of Westminster.
What is it Quiz
Each quiz is a collection of 20 bygone household items – can you guess what they are?
- What is it Quiz – Set 1
- What is it Quiz – Set 2
- What is it Quiz – Set 3
- What is it Quiz – Set 4
- What is it Quiz – Set 5 (new for 2019)
- £50 within a 10 mile radius (20 return trip)
- £55 within a 15 mile radius (30 round trip)
- £60 within a 20 mile radius (40 miles round trip)
Mileage calculated from Spondon
Happy to travel further as may be able to combine with a trip to the area. Please call to discuss.
- I provide all the necessary equipment for the talks/quizzes, i.e. projector, laptop, screen, extension lead, quiz sheets and pencils.
- All talks / quizzes last approximately 40 – 50 minutes – plus time for questions / answers. Please contact me to discuss timings as all the above can be tailored to suit your needs.