I offer several talks to WI, Rotary, Community organisations and church groups etc. Booking form is at the bottom of this page. For a list of previous bookings please ‘click here.‘
- Annoying ancestors – An anecdotal tale of what to look for and pitfalls to avoid when looking for your ancestors.
- Australian gold rush (new in 2019) How some of our ancestors left these shores to go to a brave new world and seek their fortune. Many never to return home again.
- Before the welfare state – institutions, home remedies and quack doctors
- Forgotten women – Derby County Lunatic Asylum – (New for 2020) Together with an overview of Asylum life at Mickleover meet Emma, Catherine and Margaret. You will also learn about Alice and Maud, who ‘recovered’ and returned to their everyday lives.
- History of the postcard – A potted history of the humble postcard and place in social history.
- The Last English nobleman hanged for murder – A tale of wealth, marriage, separation and a murder, centred on Staunton Harold Hall, Leicestershire and The Palace of Westminster.
What is it Quiz
Each quiz is a collection of 20 bygone household items – can you guess what they are?
- What is it Quiz – Set 1
- What is it Quiz – Set 2
- What is it Quiz – Set 3
- What is it Quiz – Set 4
- What is it Quiz – Set 5 (new in 2019)
- What is it Quiz – Set 6 (new for 2020)
- £50 within a 10 mile radius (20 return trip)
- £55 within a 15 mile radius (30 round trip)
- £60 within a 20 mile radius (40 miles round trip)
Mileage calculated from Spondon
Happy to travel further as may be able to combine with a trip to the area. Please call to discuss.
- I provide all the necessary equipment for the talks/quizzes, i.e. projector, laptop, screen, extension lead, quiz sheets and pencils.
- All talks / quizzes last approximately 40 – 50 minutes – plus time for questions / answers. Please contact me to discuss timings as all the above can be tailored to suit your needs.